the rogers law firm logo

How to Fight a Speeding Ticket in Missouri

Call St. Louis traffic law attorney Andrea Storey Rogers today at (314) 724-5059 if you want to fight your Missouri speeding ticket or other traffic violation.

Getting a Speeding Ticket “Fixed” Keeps Points Off Your License

You can hire a speeding ticket lawyer to get your Missouri ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point violation that won’t affect your driving record or insurance rates. This is sometimes called getting a ticket “fixed.”

If you decide to plead guilty instead of getting your ticket fixed, points will be added to your driving record and your insurance rates may increase.

How Many Points Are Added to Your Driving Record for Traffic Tickets?

Here are some examples of typical moving violations in Missouri and the number of points added to your driving record for each:

  • Speeding ticket (municipal violation) = 2 points
  • Speeding ticket (state violation) = 3 points
  • Driving Without a License = 2 points (for first offense)
  • Driving While Suspended = 12 points
  • Driving With No Insurance = 4 points
  • Driving While Intoxicated = 8 points (for first offense)
  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident = 12 points (state violation; 6 points if county or municipal)

Your driver’s license will be suspended for 30 days (if it’s your first suspension) if you accumulate 8 points within 18 months. Your license will be revoked for 1 year if you accumulate 12 points within 12 months.

Click here for a full list of Missouri traffic violation points.

Getting a Speeding Ticket “Fixed” Prevents Car Insurance Rates From Increasing

Pleading guilty to a moving violation causes points to be added to your driving record. In addition to increasing the risk that your license will be suspended or revoked, points may cause your car insurance rates to increase.

Your insurance company reviews your driving record every time your car insurance policy is up for renewal, or when you buy a new car. At that point, your insurance company may increase your rates if they see any moving violations on your driving record.

How Much Does it Cost to Fight a Speeding Ticket?

The cost to hire a speeding ticket lawyer will depend on what specific traffic violation you have been charged with and which court your case is being prosecuted in.

In general, you may find that traffic ticket lawyers charge less than other types of attorneys to represent someone in court for speeding tickets.

An experienced traffic law attorney will do the following:

  1. Give you a price quote over the phone,
  2. Tell you whether they can get your speeding ticket amended to “Illegal Parking,” and
  3. Give you an estimate of the fine and court costs you will have to pay to the court.

Getting a Speeding Ticket Fixed is More Expensive Than Pleading Guilty

Almost all Missouri courts charge a fine that is higher than the original fine, plus court costs, in exchange for amending speeding tickets to non-moving violations. So, you will pay more to get a speeding ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point violation, but your driving record and car insurance rates won’t be affected.

No Court Appearance Required for Most Speeding Tickets

If you hire an attorney to fight your speeding ticket, you won’t have to appear in court. Your attorney will send you the court paperwork stating what your ticket has been amended to (such as “Illegal Parking”), the amount of the fine and court costs, and your payment due date.

You will then be responsible for paying the fine and court costs to the court by the due date. Most courts give defendants at least 30 days to pay the fine and court costs.

How to Find a Lawyer to Fight Your Speeding Ticket

Hire an experienced traffic law attorney to fight your speeding ticket. You can find an attorney online by Googling “Speeding Ticket Lawyer” or “Traffic Law Attorney” and include the name of the city or county in which you received the ticket, such as “St. Louis Traffic Law Attorney” or “St. Ann Speeding Ticket Lawyer.”

You can also search for a speeding ticket lawyer on legal websites such as AVVO, where you can read client reviews of attorneys and see attorneys’ answers to legal questions.

What to Do If You Already Pleaded Guilty & Want to Change Your Plea

If you have already pleaded guilty to a speeding ticket, it may not be too late to change your plea and get your ticket amended to a non-moving violation. See my previous blog post about How to Withdraw Your Guilty Plea.

To get your Missouri speeding ticket or other traffic violation amended to a non-moving, no-point violation, call St. Louis traffic law attorney Andrea Storey Rogers at (314) 724-5059 to get a price quote for legal representation. Or email Andrea at

Picture of Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers

With over 15 years of concentrated experience in Missouri traffic law and misdemeanors, Andrea Rogers of The Rogers Law Firm provides personalized, flat-fee legal services backed by a case outcome guarantee for every client she takes on across the state.