How To Get Your Suspended Driver’s License Reinstated

Table of Contents

To get your driver’s license reinstated after it has been suspended, you must pay a reinstatement fee and pay all unpaid traffic ticket fines, in addition to some other requirements.

In addition to 1) paying a reinstatement fee and 2) paying all traffic ticket fines, you might also have to do some or all of the following to get your driver’s license reinstated after a suspension:

  • Obtain a compliance letter/release from the court and send it to the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR)
  • File an SR-22 form (to show proof of liability insurance) with the DOR
  • Send proof of completion of SATOP to the DOR
  • Send proof to the DOR that you have an ignition interlock device on your vehicle

The requirements for reinstatement vary depending on the reason your license was suspended.

Why Did Your Driver’s License Get Suspended?

Missouri will suspend your driver’s license for the following reasons:

  • You pleaded guilty to too many tickets, which caused you to accumulate too many points on your driving record
  • You were driving a vehicle that was not insured
  • You got into an accident while driving an uninsured vehicle and did not pay for the damages
  • You failed to appear in court or pay the fine for a speeding ticket or other traffic violation
  • You have a judgment for unpaid child support
  • You were convicted of DWI or other alcohol-related moving violation
  • You refused to submit to an alcohol or drug test
  • You failed to take the required tests (medical, written, or driving)
  • You are under age 21 and were convicted of MIP possession of alcohol or drugs under the Abuse & Lose law
  • You failed to file an accident report
  • You have a 5-year or 10-year license denial
  • You stole motor fuel

For more information about getting your driver’s license reinstated, the Missouri Department of Revenue website contains a section that explains why your license is suspended.

How To Get Your Suspended License Reinstated

If your driver’s license is suspended and you want to get it reinstated, here’s what you can do:

  • Call the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) at (573) 751-4475 and ask if you are eligible for reinstatement of your license
  • If you are eligible for reinstatement, ask the DOR what they require you to do to get reinstated
  • If you have old unpaid traffic tickets that need to be taken care of before you can get reinstated, hire an attorney to get those tickets reduced to no-point violations so you won’t have more points added to your driving record
  • If you pleaded guilty to a ticket that caused your license to be suspended, you can hire an attorney to withdraw your plea and get your ticket reduced to a no-point violation

What To Do If You Are Not Eligible For Reinstatement Of Your Driver’s License

If you are not eligible for reinstatement, you can apply for a Limited Driving Privilege (Hardship License) until you are eligible for reinstatement of full driving privileges.

PLEASE NOTE: You will NOT be able to get a Limited Driving Privilege/Hardship License if you have any unpaid traffic tickets.

What To Do About A “Driving While Suspended” Ticket

If you receive a ticket for “Driving While Suspended,” you can hire a traffic law attorney to get your ticket reduced from a 12-point ticket to a no-point, non-moving violation.

How Many Points Will Be Added To Your Driving Record For A “Driving While Suspended” Ticket?

If you plead guilty to “Driving While Suspended,” 12 points will be added to your driving record and your license will be revoked for 1 year. Click here for a list of the number of points assessed for Missouri traffic violations.

  • Your license will be suspended for 30 days if you accumulate 8 points within 18 months
  • Your license will be revoked for 1 year if you accumulate 12 points within 12 months

How Long Does “Driving While Suspended” Stay On Your Driving Record?

“Driving While Suspended” tickets stay on your record forever and can not be expunged, so that’s why it’s important to get them reduced to a non-moving, no-point violation, if possible.

Here is a list of tickets that stay on your driving record forever:

  • Driving Without Insurance
  • DWI
  • DUI
  • Excessive BAC (Blood Alcohol Content)
  • No Driver’s License (state, not municipal)
  • Vehicular Manslaughter
  • Vehicular Injury
  • Vehicular Homicide
  • Violation of Interlock Device
  • MIP (Minor in Possession of Alcohol)
  • Driving While Suspended or Revoked
  • Leaving the Scene of An Accident (State, not Municipal)
  • Driving Without a License (State, not Municipal)
  • Driving Motorcycle Without Permit/Endorsement

An Attorney Can Help Get Your Driver’s License Reinstated

An experienced traffic law attorney can give you guidance about the reinstatement process and help get your driver’s license reinstated by doing the following:

  • An attorney can get your traffic tickets reduced to non-moving violations so you won’t have more points added to your driving record
  • An attorney can withdraw your plea (if you have already pleaded guilty to a traffic ticket) and get your ticket reduced to a no-point violation, which will remove the points and lift the suspension of your license

After your attorney gets your tickets reduced to non-moving, no-point violations, you will have to pay fines and court costs. The fine is usually slightly higher than the original fine.

If you hire an attorney to take care of your tickets, you won’t have to appear in court, and you will be given at least 30 days to pay the fines and court costs.

Most traffic law attorneys can give you a flat-fee price quote and an estimate of the amount of the fines and court costs that you will have to pay.

For a free consultation about how to get your driver’s license reinstated, contact St. Louis Traffic Law Attorney Andrea Storey Rogers at (314) 724-5059 or [email protected]

Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers

With over 15 years of concentrated experience in Missouri traffic law and misdemeanors, Andrea Rogers of The Rogers Law Firm provides personalized, flat-fee legal services backed by a case outcome guarantee for every client she takes on across the state.